Posted by Andrew VanderPloeg
Once a year, bloggers from across the world are invited to join in Blog Action Day. Each year there is a specific issue in focus. Last year, the focus was on the Environment and this year it is on Poverty. We at Electricurrent/AdvancedMinistry have registered this year to be a blog that carries a message highlighting the needs of the poverty-stricken in our world. Here are some of the facts from the globalissues.org website:
- Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day.
- There are 1 billion impoverished people in the world (every second child).
- At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day
- Around 27-28 percent of all children in developing countries are estimated to be underweight or stunted. The two regions that account for the bulk of the deficit are South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
- Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.
- Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn’t happen.
- 51 percent of the world’s 100 hundred wealthiest bodies are corporations.
Donate to a worthy cause. Commit to sponsor a child. Lobby your government. If you have a blog, register it on the Blog Action Day site and post about this issue. Or just email/tell your friends and contacts.
I just did a quick poll of the team here to generate a list of organizations that we have either worked with or are working with or that someone here donates to or sponsors through personally. They're organizations that are making a real difference in people’s lives:
It takes such a small amount of our time and resources to make a massive impact on the life of a person in poverty. Help us with the 'action' part of Blog Action Day.